Did you know that learning something new is one of the top ten resolutions people make for the new year? So for those looking for a new hobby, why not take up learning how to pilot a plane? To help you on your way, here is a quick list to coax you into taking to the air.
For the new pilot:
- Safety first – Vow to always be safe in the air, and in turn keeping any passengers you may have safe, by always following procedures that are necessary before taking off. Have a pre-flight list prepared and use it; soon it will be second nature.
- Maintain your aircraft properly – Just like anything other machine, airplanes require maintenance every now and again. Do maintenance after and before every flight, including every few months. Keep a schedule of when something needs to be replaced.
- Take a trip – A flight takes a lot of planning, so kill two birds with one stone by integrating another resolution of taking more trips into your new year. Take a day trip for a picnic in a hard-to-reach by car location or plan a week away to a picturesque area. If you’re into photography, make sure to bring a camera along. (These are from a commercial plane, but you get the idea.)
- Get more education – Even if you’ve just taken the license test and have crammed your mind full, there’s always something new to learn. Talk to other pilots or read a book on flight and see what else you can learn.
- Have fun – Why did you get a pilot’s license? Just like in life, make sure that what you are doing is enjoyable. There may be a lot that goes into piloting an airplane, but that doesn’t mean that you have to forget about getting the most out of it.