Much of the country is in the midst of one of the coldest winters we’ve seen in a long time, but don’t let that stop you from hopping on your plane and finding some fun. The question is: where to go? We put together a list of destinations that may tempt you to take a flight this weekend.
1. Grand Canyon – You may have visited the Grand Canyon before, but have you seen it from the air? It will be hard to see as much as you can of one of the seven wonders of the world since it ranges 277 miles long, but you can certainly try. There is no landing fee at Grand Canyon National Airport, so that is an added bonus.
2. Lake Placid/Kiwassa Lake, Adirondacks, N.Y. – If you’re looking for a more zen-like location, there’s no other place like Lake Placid. The area hosts many resorts and is also great if you have a seaplane, allowing you to land directly on any of the 23 miles of Adirondacks waterways.
3. Jackson Hole, WY – If you’re not too concerned about the cold, try Jackson Hole at this time of the year. Hiking the scenic Tetons are a wonderful way to get away from the city, plus the city boasts chuck wagons to get your fill of steak and comfort food.
4. Nashville, TN – There’s New York and L.A., but there’s also Nashville in terms of the music industry. Walk into an establishment on any given evening, and you will be sure to find some of the best musicians jamming.
5. Kansas City, MO – Some people consider Kansas City a flyover area, but it is home to some of the best and most authentic barbeque in the United States. Check out Arthur Bryant’s and Jack Stack Barbeque; they will have you licking your fingers clean.
As a pilot, you have access to a fun weekend with some of the most amazing places. So grab your camera and suitcase, and gas up that plane.